Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Edge of Slab Deck Bracing Support at Special Moment Frame Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

metzdmichael

Structural
Mar 1, 2024
US
I have a question about the protection zone for a moment frame connection beam to column connection. Detail 5/S103 shows spacing for slab deck edge at 4"-0" OC. Detail 10/S103 shows no connection at the protected zone for the beam webs. In order to advoid the RBS protected zone, the inspector is stating that bracing is required at the face of the column web. So there would be a kicker in the middle of the column web supporting the deck. Is the column face still considered the protection zone? No deck support attachments should be installed here, correct? See attached.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=77a74f49-bb92-43dc-aa8f-f6c396c2f7cd&file=S103__TYPICAL_DETAILS_Rev.3_markup_(1).pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The column web is not a protected zone, I believe that is what you're asking. What the inspector has suggested would be acceptable to myself.

You should contact the SEOR but from the detail it looks like no kicker would be required as they are welding the 3/16" plt. to the column flanges. The column is not part of the protected zone for the SMF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back