Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

edit Dwgs

Status
Not open for further replies.

par1

Automotive
Oct 11, 2004
US
I am using UG & GM dwgs are in solid model mode.
I wanted to do some changes might be do copy/paste from other dwgs which are in drafting mode.

The mode I am talking is under the Aplication modeling/drafting

Could you just tell me how could I do that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think some more information would be helpful.
What version of UG are you running?
What do you want to copy and paste (notes, geometry)?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "GM dwgs are in solid model mode". Do they have a title block and dimensions in the modeling application side that you want to transfer to the drafting side?

I am using UG NX II

1. Yes, I wanted to transfer Title Block & Outer frame which is in a modeling mode to drafting mode - how?

2. Does GM has any requirement that dwg should be in a modeling mode?

3. I also wanted to transfer dwg from modeling mode to
drafting mode, if possible - how?

Cowski:

I tried to transfer geometry/title block but it says that clipboard data contains object that were copied from a 3D view & can't be pasted on a dwg

This is how I have done it. Not the best but will do.
Go to drafting application and import view from modeling. Delete all annotation in drafting only. Then turn display sheet off. You will see drawing in modeling, go to annotation editor and copy notes one at a time then turn display sheet on and use annotation editor in drafting to paste note and place it where it was in modeling. your annotations will be tedious because you should go back and forth. offcourse if you can figure out a way to import drawing from modeling into drafting it will be easier but I have not been able to do this.

How @ if two different windows are open & if I wanted to paste the view from drafting mode to modeling mode of another window? I don't have UG access right now & also if somebody have better info

Are these files using master model, where the draing is in a separate file from the model?

There is a GRIP program in the GRIBLIB that will convert all entities to/from drafting/modeling.

Try importing a part file to transfer data between files.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

One way to accomplish moving the drawing format into drafting is to turn off or blank all entities that are not part of the format, set your wcs so that it is located in the bottom left corner of the format, x along the bottom of the format and y along the left side of the format. Export the format into a new part. Now go to drafting and import your format file (at absolute 0).
You could open the format file and make any changes you deem necessary and set the save options to save pattern data only. This will allow you to use the format as a pattern.

feadude,
A format file is not any special type of file, only one in which the drawing format resides. This can be saved as pattern data, which cannot be edited once imported into a drawing file, ensuring that the user can not modify company standard formats. It also takes up much less file space in your drawing file.
We are limited in our licensing bundles where I work, so programming to automate our drawings is limited. I have created seed files which contain the format patterns and editable text which can be updated using part attributes.

Hi Par1

Having spent the last 5 years doing GM dwgs you are generally required to use the GM Toolkit.

As this layouts the dwgs in a standard format. If you are presumably doing dwgs for GM would it not be best to request their Standard GM Toolkit so that the files are created correctly?

It is a thought that might make it a whole lot easier than trying to cut & paste and not getting it quite right.

Best Regards

Dave

Ozifella:
Actually, I have some GM dwgs which are in a modeling mode & I need to insert more views on those dwgs,
I can create views in a drafting mode & also tried to tranfer those views on modeling mode but still didn't get any success.

1. Does any GM requirement that dwgs are in a modeling mode instead of drafting mode?

2. Does necessary to run GM toolkit for any single change in a dwg/model? Tell me more @ this

3. Or after running GM toolkit the dwg from drafting mode will transfer to modeling mode?

Early response will be appreciated

I would suggest contacting the engineer at GM for some guidance regarding the drawing requirements. GM's official stance is that drawings are to have associated 3D models, but I do know that some divisions within GM can & do stray from that requirement.

I've only worked with GM Tire-Wheel Systems, but have yet to see any drawings represented only in Modeling, so I would suggest you get the drawing into Drafting somehow, unless you're directed otherwise by GM.

If you are making a revision to a GM drawing & that revision is going to be submitted to GM, then yes, you have to use the toolkit to enter the revision information & run the file checker to check that the drawing meets GM standards.

I would also suggest you go to become a registered user or get some training for the toolkit, as it's impossible to know exactly what you're supposed to be doing with your drawings, as that can differ from one division of GM to the next. gmsupplypower.com will provide you with lots of information to get you started & offer some of their standards that you can download.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Hi,

If i am not mistaken, you are trying to transfer data from 3D space to 2D drafting sheet.

DO the following.

- In drafting application, go to format-->toggle off the display sheet. you will see the 3d model space.

- go to view dependent edit--and use the options under "convert depenedency".

this would suffice your requirement.

Anil Acharya

Hi Par1,

Answers to your questions are as follows to the best of my knowledge:

1. Does any GM requirement that dwgs are in a modeling mode instead of drafting mode?

No, dwgs are always created in the Drafting application, not in model space. As per 'nkwheelguy' pointed out, GM's official position is that dwgs must be associated to the 3D math data.

2. Does necessary to run GM toolkit for any single change in a dwg/model? Tell me more @ this

The GMToolkit basically formats your dwg per the specific standard you are required to supply. In the GM Toolkit there are quite a number of different formats. You should discuss with you contact engineer at GM to clarify what is required.

3. Or after running GM toolkit the dwg from drafting mode will transfer to modeling mode?

No, as mentioned above it the primary purpose is to format the file in drafting application correctly per your customers requirement. It has many other useful functions as well. However as I recall you could never create a dwg with it in Modeling then transfer it to Drafting. The GM Toolkit especially sets up the required catagories in the model file and also has the FileChecker program. This checks that the model file passes without errors so the file can be submitted back to GM.

Also to 'aacharya' comment about using View Dependant Edit function to transfer geometry from modeling to drawing.

Yes you can transfer curves and such however if you are doing a GM standard dwg this method is not correct.

Essentially if you have a component and someone has created a dwg in modeling for GM it would basically be wrong.

You should recreate the dwg correctly in drafting again. Also I agree with nkwheelhuys suggestion that you get yourself the GM Toolkit and some training.

Hope this get you closer to understanding what you need to be doing.

Best Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back