Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

edit excel based bom template

Status
Not open for further replies.

EaZiE

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
Trying to find out how to edit the excel bom template to include a column for Solidworks folder name so that I can keep track of the locations of all parts in an assembly (w/out opening SW). What needs to be typed in the Name Box in Excel to get this to work? For example, for part numbers you have to have partno in Name Box, however I'm not sure where this is pulled from in solidworks - my part number in properties is PartNumber

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you just add a column with a hyperlink before the End column. You'd be able to see them in Windows Explorer without launching SW. It wouldn't be automatic though unless you could write an equation for it. Sylvia

2016-06-22_15_20_10-SOLIDWORKS_Premium_2015_x64_Edition_-_Peg_Holder_ASSY_-_Sheet1___fklvkt.jpg

2016-06-22_15_21_53-References.xls_Compatibility_Mode_-_Excel_oeys11.jpg

The first shows the typical SW table with a column for folder name added and the locations are generated. For an Excel based BOM you start one from a template. However, the supplied templates aren't very tailored (no folder name). I want one similar to the SW BOM but with the advantage of it being external. Need the proper syntax for writing in Excel so that the folder locations will populate automatically.

Here's a solution using Custom Properties.
Edit List on Property tab.
Add SWFolderName.
In Value/Text Expression add - $PRP:"SW-Folder Name" . (if you can find a way to add this to the list it would be a big help)
The Evaluated Value should show your file path.
Make a copy of the BOM that you want to change in Excel and rename.
Add a column in the appropriate place to the left of $$END.
At the top of the column type in your header.
Click on this cell, go to the Formulas ribbon, click on Define Name.
Type SWFolderName (no spaces or hyphens)

felix7502, this may work, it would still require me going through all my parts/assemblies and updating the custom properties to show the folder path. The native SW BOM uses windows folder locations of the part to populate the BOM. That is what I was hoping to include in my Excel version.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back