Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit Sheet Format Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsoccer12

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2010
US
Hey,

So I have seen people using a table-like thing to change Sheet Format data (i.e. Rev, Title, etc.) in a table format style rather than having to right click -> edit sheet format and then change things by clicking on them one by one.

I was wondering how to find this 'table' option.

Thanks,

Jake

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That sounds to me like you are making a table in a part or assembly.

The thing I was thinking of was less like an inserted table, and more like a feature that Solidworks provided when creating a drawing file.

What we do is link the text in the title block (sheet format) to custom properties of the drawing document. Then they can be modified by File -> Properties.

To do this go to File -> Properties -> Custom Properties and
select predefined ones / create your own. Then select the text in your sheet format that you want linked to your custom property. In the note's properties under the Text Format heading there is an icon with a hand, sheet of paper and a sideways 8. You should be able to use that to link the text to the custom property. You can also use the $PRP:"Property Name" syntax within the note to reference a property.

Eric

Eric,

That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you.

Do you know happen to know how to save the format if I edit it? For example I added some property names custom to our project, but every time I create a new drawing file I have to add the Property Names that I had created the last time. Is there a way to save the property names displayed that way when I open up the Custom Properties window I dont have to find the custom Property Names I want?

Cheers,

Jake

You will need to add the properties to the template that you use to create the new drawings, that template should also have the modified sheet format with the linked text values.

Eric

Save the sheet format is an option on the 'File' menu. What I think you will want to do is to create a part template and a drawing template with the custom properties and layout you created. (prtdot and drwdot files)
You can do a lot with part templates.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Rather than having the customer properties in the drawing, we put them in the part and assembly, and link to them in the drawing.

This has been effective for us.

Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back