Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Edit sketch from assembly gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp13

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2007
US
Using 2012 SP3.0 here, and I just noticed that I can not click a part in an assembly, and edit the sketch of whichever feature is selected. I can edit the part, or add a new sketch, but not edit the existing one. If I right click the feature in the tree, then I can edit the sketch, but that requires knowing exactly which part and which feature it is I want to edit. I used to use this all the time. I'll probably submit it to SolidWorks, but just wanted to see if anyone else has any input on it first.

Thanks,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Of course they do, but you can't add/remove sketch entities at that point. I was trying to edit the sketch of one part to match another part using some in-context references, and was in disbelief when I found I could no longer do it this way.

Matt

SW 2012 Pro SP3.0
HP Z210, Win7 Pro x64
Core i7-2600, 16GB RAM
Quadro 2000

I have the Edit Sketch option in my menu.

download.aspx

Odd. Mine does not have it in the assembly I was working on (pic attached). I tried it with another assembly, and it worked. I tried ANOTHER assembly, and it was missing again. They were all created using the same template...

Even more interesting, if I create a new assembly, and put all the assemblies I tried in that one, then the ones that have the option still have it, and the ones that don't have the option still don't.

Matt

SW 2012 Pro SP3.0
HP Z210, Win7 Pro x64
Core i7-2600, 16GB RAM
Quadro 2000

Sorry, meant to attach the pic, but I cannot get it to upload right now...

Matt

SW 2012 Pro SP3.0
HP Z210, Win7 Pro x64
Core i7-2600, 16GB RAM
Quadro 2000

It seems like it has something to do with it being a sheet metal part. I took a sheet metal piece, added an extrusion to one of the faces and put that in an assembly. The Base-Flange feature does not give the option to edit the sketch, while the Boss-Extrude does. I KNOW I used to be able to do it in versions past, because all I've ever worked with was sheet metal.

What do you think... bug?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d0be9f6e-7d38-4158-8458-1073a3b03b03&file=edit_sketch.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back