Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

editing/redefining UDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyM

Automotive
Feb 9, 2012
NL
i'm trying to edit or redefine my UDF, but i can't find the UDF itself.
the directory which is selected with the library configuration is empty while i can select the UDF with the 'UDF -> insert' so it should be somewhere but i can't seem to find it. i also saw in the help files that i should edit the parameters or edit with rollback, but thats when u found the UDF itself i cant find it.. when i try to create a new one with the same name it gives an error that the name already exists. i can't even delete the original UDF since i can't find it [mad]
anyone know the answer?

F.Y.I. i created a new directory for my UDF since i didnt have write permission in my C disk so its on an other one.

Best regards,

Chevy

NX6, just got 7.5
Win7, 64 Bit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several things to check.

By default it should be under C:\UGS\NX75\UGII\udf\resource
unless your admin had configured it somewhere else.
In this case i am sure it is configured somewhere else.

First check the environment varibles for env.dat.
Then open that env.dat and check for ugii_udf_database_file
then open that database file and look for path to the udf.
Thats the file which you need to edit.

It is also possible that everything is fine and your system admin has hidden the contents of the folder and disable the rights to modify. just to make sure nobody deletes/modify by accident.

AK
NX 7.5.3.3

i changed the default myself to a hard drive where i have all access to.
i found the parts, you were right! i didnt look good enough, but these parts are .prt. shouldnt they be .udf?
i did found the udf_database. when i deleted the txt inside that named my own made UDF, it wasnt visible anymore within NX.
so thats a relief! i have no idea where to find that env.dat, what is that? and with edit the UDF i actually meant the UDF within NX. but thnx for the information though!
i found out that my User Editable Expressions (step 3 in the wizard) weren't the way i wanted. so i wanted to edit those. is this possible?

and is there a way to link the UDF with an Excel sheet so that you can only use some fixed values that i put in that excel sheet?

Best regards,

Chevy

NX6, just got 7.5
Win7, 64 Bit

Hi,
UDF solution is completely replaced by the Reuse Library solution.
I suggest you to stop to try to understand and set up UDF and try to understand what you can do with reuse Library.
UDF is not more implemented instead Reuse Library on each new NX version.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

im an intern at a company and my task here is to set up UDF's since i already got alot of reusable components in the reuse library..
thats why i am so eager to set a good one up since it requires standard components from book that i want implemented in the UDF.
the thing that my company wants is: using a feature that uses components that are cheap and standard without using a website or book to check if its a real part yes or no.
the results should be, that my colleges can use my UDF's to save time looking for the values.

Best regards,

Chevy

NX6, just got 7.5
Win7, 64 Bit

Chevy,
UDF is not more supported and implemented.
What you can do with Reuse Library is more then UDF.
There is a batch that convert UDF library to Reuse Library.
What you can do with Reuse Library you can imagine.
I suggest you to read about Reuse Library.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

I just spoke to GTAC and was informed that UDF's are not replaced by Reuse library.
What was changed is that you can now access the UDF's thru the Reuse interface which makes it easier to insert them into your model.

As I understand it, UDF's are User Definable Features, things you would join or subtract from your model and Reuse would be used for components that you would typically add to your assembly.
Inserting a UDF into your model adds feature(s) into your part navigator whereas Reuse adds component(s) into the assembly navigator.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Jurgen

Sorry JurgenKreisel,
but GTAC is wrong.
Reuse Library has completely replaced UDF.
RL can contain everything...2D entities as sketches, curves, parametric curves, symbols, parametric features, materials, unparametrized features, KB components, simple components and all can piloted by excel.
Everything in NX can be a RL object.
Listen to me.
Google and Youtube can help you.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

JurgenKreisel, thats how it is now in 7.5. i dont know how it is in 8.

Cubalibre00, thnx for your information about the UDF not being implemented anymore, but thats not what i asked. as i said, im an intern and my assignment is that i have to do this. but still.. could you tell me how you can create your own feature? cause wasnt that the whole idea of the UDF and thats gone now, so how can i create that without a wizard?

Toost, thnx! thats very helpfull, is there a way that you can link those values to the values of an other expression? cause the perfect solution is, that when i select one value, all the others adapt to that single value. so its the same idea as in the family members within excel but without excel, that would be perfect!

Best regards,

Chevy

NX6, just got 7.5
Win7, 64 Bit

Hi ChevyM,
as I wrote before Santa Google and Youtube have all your response to create Reuse Library feature piloted by Excel.
NX has some samples in own Reuse Library installation.
How to convert UDF to RL is simple but need some user tasks.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

i know.. i tried to find it, but i have no idea how to find it. cant you put the tags in a post so that i can find it on google or youtube.. i know that this forum isnt supposed to help with tutorials or something so its your choice if you put it in yes or no. thnx in advance!

Best regards,

Chevy

NX6, just got 7.5
Win7, 64 Bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back