Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Education Tips??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luk

Civil/Environmental
Mar 25, 2003
AU
Hi There!

My team mates and I are going do a presentation to high school teens to inform them more about engineering.
My part is to present the civil and structural sides of engineering.
Have you got any interesting examples of engineering achievements or great/'interesting' charactered engineers that may attract the attention of the school teens?
Do share!
Thanks!

Cheers,
Luk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at some local ironwork bridges for your structural component. I know it may not be glamorous but I always like to mention that Enginers have done as much for the health of the world as doctors maybe more by doing just two things. Treat sewage and purify water. then there is the fact that engineers get to play in the dirt with the biggest 'tonka trucks' in the world.

Hi dicksewerrat!

Thanks for the input.
I think bridges are good examples.
I thought of rollercoasters, dams...
but the idea of informing them that we get to play with godzilla sized trucks is REAlly appealing.
Thanks again!

Cheers, Luk

Luk,

I've given a few similar talks over the years. I've given examples of large, well know civil engineering works like briges, dams, skycrapers etc., that can really be inspiring. I have also found that picking one or two local projects that are in the news, brings the topic closer to home. The local library addition, the new subdivision, an addition to the local treatment plant give an opportunity to show on a local level, "what engineers do right here in your community".

We don't all get to work on the mega-projects that might inspire a career, yet the sum of a multitude of small projects makes a career. And in this day and age, there are a multitude of small, fun projects that need doing and that can really add to the quality of life on the local level.

I would then sum up my talk with what it takes to study engineering. Provide an outline of the high school courses needed to get into engineering school. Then, required college courses and a little about professional registration. Also, don't forget to leave time for some questions.

One last comment. I always thought that talking to high school seniors, while a good thing to do, was a little late. They have all ready gone through most of their course of study. Sophomores and Juniors still have time to rearrange their schedules, so I think it is important to try and talk to them too.

Just a few thoughts, good luck and I hope you find your experiance talking to the students as rewarding as I did.

Luk;

Here are some links that you might find helpful:

1. what is civil engineering?

2. The Top Ten Public Works Projects of the Century

3. Some of the century's top architects and engineers

4. Famous Structures

Good LUCK !!!!!!!!!

Drop By !!

Hi jheidt2543, bluesman & CWIC,

Thanks for the tips...
I shall check the sites out.
Now I would have enough info for the 15 year olds....:)

Cheers,
Luk

As a teacher I can tell you that nothing gets to them better than making it personal. What do they want to do? Music Videos require acoustic engineering to produce perfect sound, Computer engineers make the world work faster, Fast cars all started with the under matured brilliant mechanical engineer. Space flight would never become real if a few astronauts weren't good enginners. (See Apollo 13) Please tell them that being enginners does not limit their opportunities but expand them. If you are stuck on under acheivers tell them that a EE who was VP of Dell computers is working the customer service desk at Home Depot. (no stress and time off to go to Daytona,and Sturgis)

The truth will set you free. Best of luck. Geodude

If time allows you might do some practical demonstrations. If you are near a testing facility you could show the students some tests to failure. Concrete cylinders and steal beams are often impressive when they break. A hydraulics lab where they do large scale model testing would also work. (Depending on the numbers, you might only invite those interested for a second session and field trip, make it on their time so you only get those really interested.)

If this is not an option, try to get some bent steel beams and connections from a testing facility or the university. Something tangible is always more impressive than someone talking about it.

Make it personal, talk about your career and how you are satisfied with the profession. Give some examples from your own life and experience, preferably something local that they can see for themselves.

A contractor and I once talked about still having the “WOW” factor about our jobs. After 25 years I am still impressed with the scope and magnitude and humbled by the forces that we can unleash and manage. If I ever loose the “WOW” factor I’ll probably have to become an accountant.

I also take issue with the comment that we engineers get to play with the biggest “Tonka toys”. With Tonka toys you have to make the vroom vroom noises yourself. With the stuff we get to play with they make the vroom vroom noises all by themselves.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

Check out your local library. You wouldn't believe what's hiding in those old stacks.

Once while tasked with the very same presentation, I checked out the library and came out with not one, but two really cool videos covering engineering in general and the other which bridges more specifically. Both were geared towards the late grade school to high school level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back