Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EE Bachelors degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

tscotteng

Electrical
Nov 10, 2006
US
Hello all, I have a degree in engineering technology. I thought i could sit for the FE but cannot. I need to get a EE degree, but i currently work at an electrical cooperative and cannot afford to stop working to back to school for 3 or 4 semesters. So I would like to get another BS online. It should only take a few semesters as many credits from my current degree will carry over. Anyone done this? I have found at least one school I think will work, but would like options. University of North Dakota has a distance learnig program, with limited visits to campus for condensed labs when required, but that is all i can seem to find.

SO please let me know of any schools that offer an online EE degree

Tom

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Distance learning (many of them aren't really "on-line") for a BS is not going to be readily available; could you gain entrance to one of the distance learning Masters Degree programs?

Like you, I cannot quit working to go to school. Wife and kids have this habit of consuming food every few hours. Go figure.

I just finished my Associates EET degree in May (4 years to get it). I start here: this fall. I am going to try it but I sure am tired of carrying around a book bag everywhere I go. It's also cutting into my fishing time.
Sounds like the same setup as what you already found.

I looked into this about four years ago, and like you, the only ABET accredited school I could find that offered an online BSEE is North Dakota. I don't know of any others that are appropriately accredited.

As I recall, the tuition was around $500 per credit hour, which put it way out of my league, with a family to feed.

debodine

Well at least I am not the only one in the boat. I haved got to be able to sit for the FE and get my PE or my career will basically go nowhere at this company. In order to have any supervisory position one must be a senior enginerr and to be a senior engineer you mast have a PE. If it takes $500 a credit hour then, so be it.

I had origionally planned to get a masters degree in either EE or Civil, but when i found out I cannot sit for the FE I just assumed that my degree would also exclude me from a graduate degree in any other engineering field. Is this true? Can one get a masters in EE with a degree in a different disciplin?

Thanks

Tom

I earned an MSEE from the University of Washington through a program called EDGE. Unfortunately the program no longer includes EE but I'm sure there are others.

I did most of the work while in the Navy in Hawaii. I can say for certain my education equals that of those that were on campus but it came at a cost. It was very difficult to do graduate work from a distance. I took subjects such as Stochastic Analysis and Multi-Dimensional Signal Processing; not for the faint of heart. There were many, many nights that I worked into the wee hours trying to get enough of an assignment done to get credit.

Bottom line, it can be done and there are programs but it will be challenging. I personally have no regrets. Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I have been filled with a new hope. I was pretty bummed out when I found out my degree would not allow me to sit for the FE now I have some inspiration to keep e going. I love being an engineer and the pursuit of knowledge, and that is one reason I love this forum. As soon as my new house has been built and we get a better internet connection, the search will be on for a program. Who knows maybe one day I can make people call be doctor or something funny like that.

Tom

I recieved a BSET from the local state college. It was suggested to me to get my BSEE degree. So, I checked the next closest college that offered that degree. I would have basically had to start over because only a few of the credits/classes actually transfered. Colleges get pissy about accepting other's credits for the same or similar classes. They make $$ that way.
Anyway, if I go back, I'm thinking the Master's program would be less "re-work". And depenging on the degree, having an undergraduate degree is the only requirement. I hear engineers with an MBA is a hot commodity these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back