Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

effect of drawing a magnetic alloy on its magnetic properties 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HusamAhmad

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2005
DE
Hi,
Will drawing a certain magnetic alloy into wires " rather than sheets" will affect its magnetic properties "Max. permeability and saturation density"...
is there any application that uses a "Magnetic wires/ropes" rather than sheets in transmitting the magnetic flux..
regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, I'm assuming you are talking about soft magnetic materials (silicon iron, 430F, etc.). Second, that is a really broad question so here is a really broad answer. Any cold work, whether drawing wire or rolling sheets will have a significant effect on magnetic properties but can be reversed by annealing. The biggest changes are in the area of the BH curve, max permeability and coercive force/residual flux density. Saturation flux density is not effected so much. I'm not aware of anyone offering these materials in wire form so I doubt there is an application. Sort of a chicken & egg thing. If you create a big enough use, they will make it.

HusamAhmad:

It would help if you could describe which "certain magnetic alloy" you had in mind. Most ferromagnetic materials lack ductility and cannot be drawn as wires.

If you are considering permanent magnets, the only commercially available material that comes in wire form and can be drawn is Cunife, an alloy of Copper, Nickel and Iron. However, Cunife is not very stong magnetically and sources for it are becoming more difficult to find.

I agree with dgallup, assuming one could draw the material into wire form, the maximum permeability will be greatly affected and the saturation density will decrease somewhat. Most times the properties can be restored by annealing.

The only applications I have run across that use "magnetic wires" are the ones involving Cunife. Generally these applications require a magnet with good ductility.

EdStainless:
Just curious, Are there any manufacturers of Cunico or Vicalloy anymore? The few vendors I was aware of have closed up shop years ago.

Thanks,

Mike

Thank you all for your replays

In reality the alloy that I am thinking in is really a soft one with high relative pemeability...it is better to have as high as possible saturation density ..
according to some engineering textbooks; satmumetal (Ni,Cu) which has an amplitude permeability of 240 000 and saturation density of 1.5 T may be a choice as it requires a minimal ampere-turns to "conduct" the magnetic flux...for long paths..
Deltamax may be another alternative for the same reasons..

If however, a maximum saturation density and hence small dimentions is the objective supermendure with saturation flux density of 2.4 T or vanadium permendure which has approximatly the same properties...

In reality I donot know how ductile are those alloys, but they ought to have verygood ductility to be used in the sheet form in transformer application as an example...

I am wondering if there are any published papers cincerns this subject..

My full respect,
Regards

Of course there is always the published literature. Wire form is not a problem, but am concerned that you need a more extensive definition of the parameters for material selection. Good luck,

Ooops...it ought to be Replies...not replays..

Hacksaw:
thaks for your reply
accordind to your activity, you seems aware to magnetics more than (mechanical)...

any papers concern using magnetic alloys in wire/strip form may be useful in better understanding and imagination to how could one take the advantage of the strip form.
as an example it will reduce eddy currents when carying high flux densities, or it may be used for application in which a relatively large motion "in order of centimeters" is expected to exist in some kind of devices...??
name me some papers in which wire form is used to transport flux...

Fathfullys

EdStainless:

thanks alot,
according to "Electromagnetic Devices" for Roters,
machining may not consederbly affect the properties for relativly large sized pieces, it will be consedered for the wire form...I hope that the proper anealing is practically possible and have been tried, and published in papers...

I hope that corrosion will not cause aging for the strip form, and can be managed by adding small amounts of silicon that will not affect its magnetic properties..

Honestly,

not exactly, I am not aware with electromagnetic devices, I am just seeking the proper type of linear motion actuator for a given froce/stroke ratio, and trying to imagine other mechanisms that may be emloyed, and trying to check for their practical limitations...I am just a beginner...

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back