Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Oscillation on Variable-speed Pump Discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

123engr

Chemical
Dec 10, 2012
Good day All,

I have two variable-speed pumps designed to be operate in parallel arrangement and discharge into a common manifold which is connected to a departing pipeline. They have different source of supply.

Concern was raised on how to mitigate the effect of oscillations in the discharge due to speed changes that would occur at the pumps at different time. Please, i want to know how I can mitigate this problem while not affecting the pump operation.

Someone proposed a control valve at the discharge of the pumps.

Your advise is highly appreciated.

I am what I am by His grace

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of pumps are they? Centrifugal, PD, what?

Good luck,
Latexman

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

My try at an answer:
Oscillations can occur from several causes.

A) Most common is small amounts at low speed where checkvalves (or highpoints open to air) will give 'gulping' effect. Precaution: check correct amount according to pipeline diameter and pump capacity.
C) Wrong inlet and layout of feedstock and placement of checkvalves and outlet. Precaution:check layout, form and placement of pipelines and checkvalves to hinder one pump 'overruling' the other. Check speed and correct amount for smooth operation/startup and stop for both pumps.
D) Separat inlets or Y-formed inlet to tank is better than feedstock.
E) The capacity of the pump is dependding from pump caracteristic (speed) and back pressure. If everything above is OK I dont see what a regulating valve at this point should do.

Perhaps you should repost at pump engineering forum to get more varied answers.

Synchronization of the VFD pumps allow us to prevent oscillation on the discharge header/pipeline.

I am what I am by His grace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back