Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of radiation on thermocouple

Status
Not open for further replies.

googool

Mechanical
Mar 3, 2005
EU
Hello
How can i find the effect of radiation on temperature measurement in high temperature stream with thrmocouple for example if i want to measure the high temperature of gas stream in a furnace with thermocouple without shield how much error arise due to the radiation
thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A combustion furnace is quite a complex environment from the heat transfer viewpoint. The combustion mass contains radiating solids and gases, as well as diathermic (infrared radiation-transparent) gases.

As for the temperature reading error, it all depends on the radiating enclosure; for example, whether the measuring thermowell "sees" a radiating flame or just cooler walls and tubes.

If we call temperatures

T1: the true gas temperature
T2: the temperature reading
T3: the enclosure temperature
T1-T2 = [Δ]T: the error

I think we could say that in the radiant section, where radiating flames are "seen" by the thermowell, T3>T2 [≥] or [≤]T1, while in the convection section, T1>T2>T3.

As hacksaw says the convection heat transfer coefficient, h[sub]c[/sub], would be small in comparison with the radiant one, h[sub]r[/sub], at ~ 1100[sup]o[/sup]C. Thus h[sub]T[/sub] = h[sub]r[/sub] + h[sub]c[/sub] [≈] h[sub]r[/sub].

Have a look at Holman's Heat Transfer example 8-11 for an illustration. The exercise refers to air and a bulb thermometer, but it could also be applied to a thermocouple in a ceramic thermowell. The example refers better to the case of gases in the convection section.

Thanks for your comments is this true that if i apply 2 thermocouple one with shield and the other without shield (with same characteristic )the difference between result is corresponding of radiation on furnace environment
thx

It all depends on the details of the thermal environment offered by your process.

There plenty of general responses to your question, but I think you are looking for those that can be substantiated. That requires more detail than is generally suited for this forum.

While the gas temperature is of importance to whatever process you're monitoring, there are a couple of additional issues:

>> The workpieces also see the thermal radiation, so the question is whether your measurement of the gas temperature alone is meaningful in the context of the process.

>> A decent thermal baffle is non-trivial. You need to allow access to the gas, but not the radiation. This generally requires a multilayer shield, with no direct line of sight of the furnace walls.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back