Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of sulfur on concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlyB

Mechanical
May 27, 2009
CA
Anyone know whether using concrete in a high sulfur environment is a bad idea?

I know sulfur is added to concrete, but I couldn't find any info on sulfur in the environment.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sulfate is very very very bad for concrete, and when sulfur oxidises it forms sulfate. Not something I would do without proper design and assessment. If in UK, refer to the BRE Special Digest on Concrete in Aggresive Ground.

Hi AlyB. If you concrete is in ground with potentially high sulphate levels i would sepcify concrete with a high chemical resistance. Something like design chemical class DC-3.

Pete

Both sulfates and weak acids that form when sulfur is exposed to moisture will attach concrete. The attack is primarily to the cement paste, but can attack certain aggregates as well. In either case, it is not good.

If it is only sulfate exposure, you can use a high sulfate resisting cement (Type V),or if only mild sulfate exposure, Type II cement has some resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back