Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Effect of Zinc plating on Mag Properties of 1008 Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesaredu13

Electrical
Aug 14, 2008
US
Good day to all,

i am new on this forum, and i am really excited on learning more on magnetic poperties of materials.

I have a doubt regarding an armature-yoke system we are using, the system is very simple (see attached picture)
is a steel 1008 yoke with a current carrying cable in the midle to create the magnetic fiel and attract the armature towards the yoke when a current is applied, the dimensions of the yoke is .250 in W x .150 in H X .750 in D, we use this part with Zinc plating , the plating spec thickness is around .00032 in.

My question is if it could be an effect on the magnetic response of the 1008 steel because of the plating, will different plating thickness affect the total induced flux intensity (B) affecting with this the current necesary to attract the armature towards the yoke.

I have a current spec at wich the armature shoul be attracted to the yoke, and i am looking for variables that could affect this current, i already know that the gap between the armature and yoke is very critical, but looking for some other variables.

Thanks in advanced for your help....this is a great forum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The zinc plating is exactly as air from magnetic point of view for a DC solenoid. However, for an AC excitation the eddy currents will flow in the zinc too. If the force is needed when the yoke is touching the armature then the zinc plating thickness will serve as an air gap and its value will affect the holding force. If the force is needed when the armature is far from the yoke the plating thickness affect is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back