Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Effective area of partial penetration weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBEIT

Structural
Sep 9, 2013
US
I have two steel text books and the steel manual that all refer to R[sub]n[/sub][sub][/sub] for the base metal being F[sub]BM[/sub]*A[sub]BM[/sub] where A[sub]BM[/sub] is the "Cross-sectional area of the base metal". Neither of the text books describe what how to calculate A[sub]BM[/sub] and in the manual Table J2.5 just refers you back to J4 which is where the equation came from with no explanation of what it is. Help please!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When using pip welds I refer to AWS to figure the effect throat thickness of a given weld. When calling one out on the drawings I indicate the effect throat thickness on the weld callout.

Perhaps you can provide an example. If the weld is 4" long at end of a 1/4"x4" bar, the area of the base metal is 1/4"x4"= 1 in[sup]2[/sup]

Wannabe,

I'm looking for the area of the base metal when welding something like a 45 degree V with a depth of 1/2" X 4" long.

Thanks

AISC J2.1a - the effective area of groove welds are considered as the length of the weld times the effective throat.

The effective throat is shown on table J2.1 for groove welds, J2.2 for flare bevels.

Sbisteel,

I'm looking for the A[sub]BM[/sub] not A[sub]w[/sub].

I think that it is just the thickness of the thinner connecting plate time the length of the weld.

Thanks

PBedit - It sounds like load path will probably be fairly uniform in the 1/2" x 4' example and the area of the base metal is 2 in[sup]2[/sup]. Sometimes I wonder why this requirement is in J.2.5 when it is more thoroughly covered in J.4. Perhaps, this is included for times when the load path does not fit into the neat categories in J.4. You may want to look in the section titled "CONNECTING ELEMENT RUPTURE STRENGTH AT WELDS" in chapter 9 of the Steel Construction Manual (page 9-5 in the 13th and 14th edition). The equations in this section calculate the minimum base metal thickness to prevent shear rupture based on the capacity of fillet welds, but is would be easy to convert these for PJPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back