Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Effects of heat on a motors life 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inky29

Electrical
Dec 10, 2003
US
I'm trying to find some information on the effects of heat on a motors longevity. I want to say that someone told me once that for every 10% you lower the motor temperature you can extend the life of the motor by about 10 years. Has anyone else heard that before or am I totally off base here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See:

"As a general rule of thumb, insulation life doubles for each 10
Code:
°
of unused insulation temperature capability. For example, if you design a motor to have a total temperature of 110
Code:
°
C (including ambient, rise, and hot spot allowance), but build it with a Class B (130
Code:
°
C) system, an unused capacity of 20
Code:
°
C exists. This extra margin raises the expected motor insulation life from 20,000 hr to 80,000 hr."

"Similarly, if a motor's load is less than full capacity, its temperature rise will be lower. This automatically lowers the hot spot temperature and extends motor life. If the motor operates in a lower than 40
Code:
°
C ambient temperature, its life will be longer. The degree rule applies to motors operating at {sic: or} above rated temperature; insulation life drops by half for each 10
Code:
°
C of overtemperature."

j[code}&#937[/code]

Thanks! I knew it was something about 10 but I couldn't remember if it was degrees or percent of the motors running temperature. This has helped me out tremendously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back