Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Effects of Intermediate bracing on effective length of large cantilever 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 23, 2019
CA
Hi,

I'm working on a temporary beam that will cantilever 20 meters, I'm looking for information regarding the effective length to use. Most publication only discuss the restraint condition at the tip and the root, but what effects do adding intermediate bracing have on the effective length. Its a built up beam 2500mm deep. I've read Galambos guide to stability design criteria for metal structures but there is no discussion regarding the effect of intermediate stiffeners.

Any guidance or information is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dauwerda said:
II am not going to add to this in any meaningful way, but I would like to say:
Discussions like this are why I love frequenting eng-tips.
Thank you to all participants

I agree. I've looking to get back to playing around with this model at some stage soon. I've downloaded NASTRAN to do so but I couldn't get it working how I wanted.

I've now since been using it for another work related issue for buckling on a very non standard compression shape. (incidentally it seems to fail by eccentric yielding rather than buckling, but it needed to be checked.)

Either way I wan't to flesh out some better designs as check out the results that is spits out. It has the advantage of having plenty of nice options and plenty of pretty pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back