Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

efficiency estimates for steps in NG supply chain: sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjbeneker

Structural
Oct 28, 2009
NL
I attempt to perform a rough energy efficiency analysis of the dutch gashub concept by comparing the the current supply chain of NG with a possible future one.

I would like to estimate the efficiency of various steps in the supply chain based on some simple key performance drivers
(for example DISTANCE for TRANSPORT) provided me with estimate for transport losses due to compressor stations but i also would like (rough) energy loss estimates for

-Extraction
-treatment (seperation & additives)
-Transport
-storage (in-out)

and for LNG
compression (liquification)
shipping
regassification

I'm in search of literature that can help me.

I am aware that this is a comprehensive question but I am gratefull for any pointers in the right direction!

With kind regards

WJ

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good luck with that. I would think that you would have to start with an estimate of the potential energy (pressure) in all the natural gas reservoirs of the world. Since it is VERY rare to have even a rough estimate of the reservoir pressure of any gas reservoir, I don't know where this WAG comes from.

In terms of gathering losses, gathering systems range from a few wells (I'm working on one right now with 5 wells) to thousands so the range of science and engineering that went into the design is amazing. Some wells have wellhead compressors, other wells don't see a compressor until the plant, other wells have wellhead compression with nodal compression into central compression. Wellhead compression ranges from under 10% mechanical efficiency to over 50%.

At the end of the gathering line there is a transition to either mid-stream or into a plant. If it is mid stream then they are compressing wet gas and then possibly dehydrating it, maybe not. If it is a plant, some plants start by dehydrating others start by saturating the stream in an Amine contactor. There are other processes that use varying amounts of energy (e.g., some plants have to remove H2S, others remove CO2, others extract natural gas liquids), there is not "typical" energy footprint for getting field gas to a commodity condition.

Once you have pipeline spec natural gas, then you have the simplest part of the equation which is a design psi/mile (OK, kPa/km), and a booster station frequency. Then some of the gas is boosted into storage pressures others goes to an end user where the pressure is dumped across a control valve to make the pressure suitable for end-use.

Then you add the complexity of LNG liquefaction and re-gasification. Yeah, Good Luck.

It might be possible to take a specific well in a field and follow a specific chunk of gas from the reservoir to combustion and get something meaningful FOR THAT WELL. There is simply no way to do this analysis for the "industry".

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"Life is nature's way of preserving meat" The Master on Dr. Who

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back