Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

effuluent treatment with recycling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbo65

Marine/Ocean
Nov 11, 2003
PK
Hi ,

could any one suggest the best available technique t treat textile waste fro dueing and printing and make it recycleable to the process again. I have RO plant available working on well water of 7500 tds. quantity of waste water is 500000 GPD.

awaiting response.

bye

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For dyeing lines, suggest that you set up a separate RO for each color: Rinse with RO water and recover the dye back to the dye tank. This method is used for black dyeing of anodized aluminum (the largest quantity dye used).

What else is in the water that you wish to recycle: dye, detergent, bleach..?
Do I understand that your well water is 7500 ppm TDS?

kanvlach,

i would like to use water again from waste nothing else. For well water u understood correct it is 7500 ppm tds.
R.O we are using to purify the water up to 200 tds and less then 17.5 ppm hardness. Same RO i planed to utilise for recycling the waste water.(After color and other things removal from effuluent water.)

Any suggestion.
regards.

Do you use hypochlorite or other type of chlorine to kill the color? Chlorine will destroy some types of RO membranes; hence, if so using chlorine, check with the RO manufacturer whether compatible.

Describe your WWT. Do you floc and settle out solids, use a clarifier, and now wish to use the clear effluent via RO? What is TDS at this point?
Ken

kenvlach

we don't have wwt yet but we are planning for it. We have RO plant which is used for undr ground well water.I am planning to use it for recycling the treated water after treatment plnt we are looking for. The limitation is that biological and physio chemical treatment plants does nt remove the color fully. Hence this water can not be pass through our existing RO membranes(BW30-400). My question is if some knows about simlar plant we are looking for.
My idea is
Filterd waste water go into floculation then cogulation and sedimentation. this will reduce inorganic matters , reduce color and bod cod. Then this water go to biological treament where organic substances are treated with becterias. after this if bod and cod are nil and water is coloer less then we can pass it through our existing Ro to reduce its tds and the final recycled water goes back to our proccess of dying/bleaching.

If any one knows about similar plants operating any part of the world.

You need to test each dye to see how it responds to treatment. I have 3 dye types: inorganic, organic, and organometallic. Some of the organometallics contain heavy metal (chromium) and some are heavy metal-free. Also, some dyes are very stable – 6+ hours mixing with hypochlorite, while some decompose almost instantly. So, differences in treatment, and differences in disposal.

I don’t think the following sequence will do much:
“Filterd waste water go into floculation then cogulation…”
What will filtering remove? Dyes are soluble. Coagulation must precede flocculation. Sequence should be: *add coagulant, flocculate, sedimentation, filtration.
*Maybe biological treatment should be first; it can break down soluble dyes, so subsequent coagulation, etc. can remove metals. If you coagulate w/o biological, your sediment will be highly leachable.

I suggest buying this inexpensive book:
Advances in Industrial Wastewater Treatment by P. K. Goel. 500 pages, $20-22 + ~$3 shipping. About 50 pages on treating textile effluent, plus chapters on treating tannery and distillery effluents, and a review of general processes.

How expensive are the dyes that you use? You may save money on dyes and lower WWT costs if you also buy several smaller RO units as suggested in my first post.
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back