Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EFI Fuel Plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFM

Automotive
Feb 15, 2003
US
All,

Long time no visit. I am working on a flat 6 cylinder (Porsche) adding a second set of injectors. Due to location a "fuel rail" is impractical and this prompts my question: Are short fuel lines (-6) from a central supply block a big problem? I do understand the fuel in this line is "trapped" as it will not be in the return loop for the regulator but are there any other issues? This is a track only application.

Thanks in advance,

PFM

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As usual, trapped fuel (i.e. no recirc line) leads to trapped vapour, unless the fuel pressure is high. Modern mechanical returnless fuel systems seem to be in the 4 to 6 bar range.

Bill

All,

There will be a return line from a distribution block(s) located within 3 to 4 inches of the injector. So fuel line from pump to distribution block, hose to second bank distribution block, hose to regulator and bypass to tank. From each block are three lines 3 to 4 inches long -6 hose to the individual injector. The question is does anyone see this as a problem versus a conventional fuel rail attached to the injector. Fuel pressure will be about 50 PSI.

Thanks for the replies,

I hope this makes the question clearer.

PFM

That sounds not to different to the system used on early FI air cooled VWs. They had no problem.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Pat,

I have seen you on this board for years, thanks for the reply. I have one of those early flat fours with FI. They could not be considered high performance and this application is. I have heard all kinds of stories about fuel delivery problems, resonance troubles etc. just trying to find truth.

PFM

Personal experience with this scheme is that it's worked fine for >25K miles on a Mazda rotary in a warm climate over the last 4 years or so. I have about 4" of line between the supply block and each injector.

I am presuming heat soak into the fuel line is the anticipated problem. The higher the fuel flow, the less the residence time. I do't see a real difference that makes the Porsche application any more difficult.

It has higher fuel pressure and higher fuel flow and probably higher air circulation in the engine compartment due to higher speed and higher rpm.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers for professional engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back