EIT seeking mentor in Detroit/Ann Arbor Area 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrittEIT

Structural
Jan 10, 2019
US
Hi all,

I graduated 10 years ago from an ABET accredited univ. w/ a BS of Construction Engineer Tech. I have spent my career thus far in project management, project engineering, and structural engineer. I relocated from Tennessee to Michigan to start a new position as a structural engineer for a company doing ground up steel and aluminum structures.

I am gearing up to take the FE this year and working towards my PE. I currently work under a PE who reviews my work and stamps it, but I would like to find someone I could meet with once a week face to face or via skype/phone. I will be joining the ASCE and PE groups in my area, but thought I'd see if anyone is willing to lend a hand here as well. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.

PS... I realize a Tech degree being licensed is a touchy subject, but it is available to me and will further my career. I take my work and oath very seriously. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just as an encouragement, I had someone on my staff years ago with an Engineering Technologies degree - 4 year BS - where the degree was accredited. I hired them as a cad tech initially but they approached me and said they were taking the FE exam. After passing it we altered their job description to that of an EIT doing design. Eventually they passed the PE exam and have had a successful career since.

Seeking out a mentor is great. And don't stop learning ever.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

JAE- Thank you for the kind words. It's really appreciated. I am on these forums daily and read your posts quite often! I listen to all sorts of engineering podcasts, read articles, and subscribe to magazines to keep learning anyway I can. I am stressed about the FE as I haven't used a lot of the material since college (mainly Fluids/Hydraulics, Probability/Statistics, Geotech) I feel fairly confident in the other subjects and have been reviewing the FE Civil books and practice problems.

My career has primarily been focused on structural analysis, materials, and project management. I really just need someone I can have a quick half hour to an hour chat with each week to discuss methods, equations, etc. that come up throughout my week and understand their insight and experience. I don't know anybody in my industry as I just relocated. Thanks for the encouragement!

mEIT ... Like JAE, I have also had a positive experience with an engineering technology grad. He worked harder than the others and learned as much as he could. He went on to become a named partner in a successful engineering firm in Pittsburgh.

Our engineering degrees only get us in the door. What happens next is all up to you.

JMO but the folks for whom a BS_ET being licensed would be a touchy subject aren't worth wasting your time on. Putting aside the facts that licensure doesn't actually require a degree in many states and the experience requirement is commonly pencil-whipped, realistically your degree is equivalent if not superior to a traditional engineering degree being a combination of traditional engineering and practical design, hence why ETs commonly earn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back