Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Elastic Plastic Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odforu

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2010
US
Hello,

I am working on prediction of material properties of composite materials. I have evaluated the elastic properties of the composite, I would like to obtain the load vs displacement curve of the composite from the stress strain data of the individual (fiber and matrix) materials. I have entered the elastic as well as the plastic properties of the materials, while creating the step for the analysis, do I have to use the Static general with large displacements ON or do I have to use the Dynamic Explicit? I am a bit confused between the two.

Thank You very much.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A linear static analysis should work, but for a unidirectional lamina, hand calculations (rule of mixtures or Halpin-Tsai equations) are usually sufficient. What are the constituent materials and the reinforcement geometry? You say you have plastic properties for the constituents, but it's unusual for plasticity to be important for most conventional composites.

Thank you very much invariant for your valuable comments. Well I have random fiber composite (glass fiber and matrix) a 3D geometry. I want to compare the experimental results (load displacement curve) with the simulation results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back