Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Elastomeric isolator connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olivaw

Structural
May 15, 2020
CL
I'm designing the connections of a seismic elastomeric isolator, but I'm having problems with yielding of the base plate. I'm getting about 1 3/4'' thick. What I've seen so far on other connection details of isolators, is about 3/4'' thick.

I'm using AISC Design Guide 01. For base plate yielding of round HSS and pipes you use 0,8 times the diameter. But since there is a lot of compression on top of isolators, it results on a lot of moment on the base plate. I can't get it lower than 1 3/4'' thick. It makes me think that Im not using the right approach to design the connection. But I haven't been able to found an specific example on elastomeric isolator connection design.

If any on you have experience designing these type of connections, please share any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The subject formulas at AISC Design Guide 01 is applicable for HSS ( round or rectangular) . In your case , you may calculate the bearing stresses assuming rigid base assumption and design the base plate for bending and shear. I would prefer FEM modelling .

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back