Electric boiler and explosion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris 10

Industrial
Aug 9, 2017
CH
Dear All,

I have read that electric boiler are safer than other boilers and some are sold as explosion proof. I would like to know whether this is "sales argument" or reality.
I can see that electric boiler do not have the risk related to storage of flammable fuel, firebox explosion.
But does the problem of cracking of the vessel not remain?
Would a safety valve failure not lead to an explosion, in case the pressure is not properly monitored?

Many thanks in advance
Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Explosion Proof" may just mean it doesn't furnish any means of igniting flammable vapors in the area, unlike flame-heated equipment; it wouldn't necessarily relate to the safety of the container itself. I think this is common terminology with electrical equipment, etc.

Not only suitable in areas where the presence of flammable vapors may exist as JStephen stated but it could also suitable in areas where ignitable dust and fiber may be expected. It all depends on the information indicated on the labels fastened to those boilers.

It's not to do with the pressure vessel but electrically. Explosion proof means you will use components suitable as NEMA 4X and choice of type and class as Div 1 class 1... Used where highly flammable gasses are present, gasoline, hydrogen

General Blr. CA,USA

Please share with us your evidence of an electric boiler sold as "explosion proof"

Is this claim expressed in an advertisement ... Or is this something that someone told you

You state: "But does the problem of cracking of the vessel not remain?"

What problem ??? What do you mean ????

Any boiler fired with any fuel can be made to fail if operated above the design pressure and temperature range.

Electric boilers (and water heaters) are niche products sold for niche applications.

They tend to be sold as smaller boilers and are a very expensive source of steam.

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks for your answers. Very useful.

Previous post quote: "Any boiler fired with any fuel can be made to fail if operated above the design pressure and temperature range."

Yes. this is also what I thought, but I needed confirmation for this.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back