Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric Car Conversion 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiketheEngineer

Structural
Sep 7, 2005
US
With the price of gasoline approaching $4.00 / gallon I am seriously considering converting and old car (VW maybe) into a an electric vehicle to drive back & forth to work, store, pharmacy, etc - maximum of about 50 miles per day.
I am a decent mechanic and know enough about electricity not to kill myself - so this seems a reasonable project.

Has anybody tried this and/or what insights do you have.. Yes - I have found a TON of Net info - but not sure who is telling the truth. One book says you can do it for $300 - that I seriously doubt. But the neighborhood of $3,000 to $4,000 seems doable??

Thanks for any insights or paths to pursue...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Two additional 1200Wh batteries would take the all electric range up by 12 miles, roughly. The Prius' gas efficiency is relatively unaffected by battery capacity.

So you've turned a 50 mpg car into a 60 mpg car for the first 50 miles, by adding batteries. Well done, but old news.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Try to find an electric vehicle club such as;

which is Sydney Australia based. Their website helps but go to a few of their meetings and you'll meet people who have done it and can tell you how to and how much. The guys I met at this particular club were very helpful and willing to share.

This club also has Field Days so you can go for a ride in their cars and if they thought you were serious I think they would let you have a drive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back