Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric damper actuators 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hltc

Electrical
Apr 3, 2008
US
I have a project where I've been asked to control a electric damper actuator, specifically

using a 0-10VDC signal for positioning. I've been looking for some sort of document that discusses the 0-10V control but haven't been successful yet.

Questions really are...0-10V equates to a position? This is only the control, separate from the actuator voltage, or is it the same? The cut sheet really doesnt lend itself to explaining how to use the device.

If this is the wrong forum, let me know...wasnt sure this or the PLC forum.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OK, so 0V is closed, 10V is open, I don't need to actually ramp over the voltage. I was thinking this was a damper where you can control the air flow based on the positioning of the valve.

That damper can not use a 0-10V signal. It is a open-closed unit that uses either 24VAC or 120VAC. You can find other units which would be suitable for a position control application.

OK..makes more sense, I need to go back to the customer..who spec'ed this part and ask...you sure about this?

Is this a new version of the left handed wrench? Either by mistake or malicious intent, you have been given a spec sheet for an actuator that is not compatible with 0-10VDC control.
Look at the device sending the 0-10VDC signal. Reprogram it for on-off control and then use an interposing relay to switch the power to the actuator. You will still have on-off control of the actuator. If you need to modulate the damper you must change the actuator.
This damper still requires power as well as a 0-10VDC, 2-10 VDC or 4-20 mA DC control signal. (a 500 Ohm resistor across the control terminals will convert 4-20 mA DC to 2-10 VDC).
BUT BEWARE! Fire codes or environmental concerns may require a spring return damper that will automatically close when power is lost. You may have to keep the spring return damper and forget modulating the position.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Spring returns in electric actuators are limited because the electric mechanism has to first overcome the force of the spring return before it can apply any force to the driven load. For that reason they don't tend to get very large in my experience at least.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back