Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electric lake? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skogsgurra

Electrical
Mar 31, 2003
SE
This time of the year (when calves are born with double heads and nature in general behaves in an unpredictable manner - we call it "rotmonth" because food can't take the heat and humidity very well). This time of the year, as said, we also hear new and old urban myths. One of them is the electric lake.

This happened: One guy was swimming across a little lake when he felt a tickling in his fingers. It was in a confined area and he could swim out of and into that area. He told other people about it and now it seems that most everyone can feel it - no matter where in the lake they happen to wet their feet. So, I think that most of this is due to a "me too" effect. But the first guy seems to be sure about what he felt.

There are three major pipes terminating in the lake. Two are for snow guns (not in operation during summer) and one is the outlet from a sewer station (yes, very clean). The pipes are said to be stainless steel in the ground and some plastic material in the water.

Questions:

A Anyone had this before?

B What standard measurement techniques are there?

I plan to do a "potential map" using a DMM and a surface electrode shaped as a with cylinder about 1/4 sqm external surface (an ordinary bucket - that is). I will use an iron bar that I just let drop down to the bottom and sink into the mud as a counter-electrode. I will take readings with a high-impedance DMM (it has Gohms on one range) to see if there is anything at all. After checking that, I will switch to a relevant range (all other ranges have 10 Mohms) and then take down the readings across the "offending" part of the lake. I will use a GPS to get my coordinates.

I may also bring some fishing gear.

Comments invited. Especially if you have done anything like this before.

Read all about it on Sorry only in Swedish. But there is a picture showing a couple of guys trying to "ground" the lake. ;-)

Gunnar Englund

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Better send it to Gunner for keeping us in suspense!
Those Locke Ness monster stories get me every time.

Chuck

Getting older is inevitable
Acting your age is optional

NO - the lake is NOT electric...

It is WORSE - it is full of micro-shrimps!

A limnologist and science teacher (Olle Olofsson) has found the little creatures responsible for the "Electric Lake" rumour. There are lots and lots of little shrimp-a-like animals (Latin: Holopedium gibberum) that live in a large school in the middle of the lake.

They surround themselves with watery jelly blobs and are next to invisible in the water. But you can feel them between your fingers. Most people blamed electricity. And that is very typical, when there's no known explanation people tend to blame electricity or magnetic fields.

There is a good article about the organism in And those who understand Swedish should read this article
Gunnar Englund

Yes. I think that this young reporter did a great job. Not only did she follow it up in a very professional manner. She also got the "volts and amperes" right in the article - even the subtle difference between potential, potential difference and voltage. That does not happen very often.

Gunnar Englund

"H. gibberum moves towards the surface near sunset and returns to deeper waters during daylight hours."

Does the tingling get stronger during the night (or weaker during the day)? What leads everyone to believe these shrimp are causing the feeling... are they scratching/biting people?

You could get a similar tingling feeling if tiny bubbles were sent through the water from below. The bubbles slink along your body and provide just enough pressure to feel like little pin pricks.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Well, I burn my hand when I stick it in a pot of boiling water, but I don't blame my injuries directly on the water, I blame it on the heating element below it. So far, I don't see a hard connection between lots of little shrimp being in the water and people feeling a tingling sensation. It MAY be the cause, but saying the case is solved because a lot of shrimp were found is a tenuous connection, at best.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Words... Something may have been lost in translation.

"Tingling" does not, according to my dictionary, imply "electric sensation" it just means "a prickling, itching or stinging sensation".

"Tingling" was the closest translation of "kvillrande" but in matters like these, translation is no longer an exact science.

"a tenuous connection, at best" ???

Gunnar Englund

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back