Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric Motor - "Leg Loss" Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaytonStMarysVibe

Mechanical
Sep 21, 2012
US
We have a 2000 Hp D/C motor (I will not disclose the make or model) that has been getting a strange fault that no one at our plant seems familiar with. The fault in question is a Silpac fault and is called a "leg loss fault". I have limited knowlege of Electrical problems within motors, because my background is strictly mechanical. Recently I have been monitoring vibration levels because we have linked a sort of "precursor condition" to these leg loss faults and it always includes a spike in vibration at 60 Hz(3600 CPM) and 120 Hz(7200 CPM). Everytime this Motor trips on this "Leg loss fault" it knocks down our vertical crushing mill and over the past 5 months it has taken down our mill probably somewhere in the ballpark of 70-80 times. Everytime it goes down, the electricians reset the silpac fault and the mill starts up fine and runs fine until it trips out again.

Does anyone with an Electrical Engineering background or even better an Electrical Motor background have any ideas or thoughts on tests we can try to help solve our issue. Your ideas would be much appreciated.

Thx

Clayton
Vibration Analyst, Predictive Maintenance Dept.
St Marys Cement Co., Bowmanville ON Canada.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the suggestion. I will also entertain anyones opinions concerning the vibration aspect of this problem. I have covered alot of bases already but I am only a level 2 Vibration Analyst, and i am hoping maybe someone with more experience has dealt or heard of this problem before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back