Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electric Power PE Exam Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectPowerPE23

Electrical
Nov 12, 2022
US
I’ve got my BS in Electrical Engineering in 08, and worked the last 8 years ex Power Infrastructure Engineer (medium Voltage) for couple of iron making companies in Indiana and Illinois.
Now, I am interested in passing my PE exam, and I want to learn from your experiences in setting up a realistic plan (timeline and study strategy) for full-time, relatively busy person.
Thanks in advance for your insights.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I found that this forum was quite helpful for being exposed to a wide range of EE problems. I often find that threads here prompt me to dig into topics that I would not have had exposure to through my workplace. If found it much more fun to "study" by looking a real problem someone posts than by going through specific test prep material.

Have you taken a PE practice exam yet? The duration of time to spend studying is correlated with how much improvement is needed to pass the test.

How important is it for you to pass the first time you take the test? I had initially planned on doing very little test-prep specific studying before my first attempt. I figured if I failed, the only drawback was the test fee and I could then diligently study for the second attempt. However, I found that passing the PE allowed to me to be eligible for a promotion, so the risk of failing was actually the risk of delaying a promotion by 6 months. I ended up working my way through most questions in one test prep book, and passing the first time.

In most states, the route to a PE licene involves three steps:
Take and pass the EI exam
have at least 4 years work under a licensed PE
Take and pass the PE exam.

As you worked in what is called "industry exemption" the second step might be the hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back