Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electric System Fault Calculations - MVA Method 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJake

Electrical
Feb 12, 2003
US
Circa 1975 there was an IEEE paper published outlining a novel way to perform short circuit calculations, called the MVA Method Of Fault Calculation(Exact title unknown).

Even though it was apparently not adopted by IEEE or Electrical Engineering Schools, it is an extremely simple system to use and to remember, unlike the p.u. system. It gives the same answers as the p.u. system. I still remember how to use most of its' features after all these years. (Now you can guess how old I am).

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this paper or a site that describes its' use?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cont....

\\\Then what is the meaning of MVAeq????\\\

The MVAeq is the available short circuit power that can produce an available SC current at a particular point were the fault is postulated.

Notice that the SC MVAeq (or equivalent SC current) at the end of the feeder should be smaller than the SC at the source if there is not SC contribution from the load side.

Comment on the two previous posting: Incidentally, I considered and proved that the VAsc12 is for batteries in series not in parallel since the voltages are V1 + V2 = 8 + 4 = 12V and resistances are R1 + R2 = 4 + 2 = 6 Ohms. This clearly refutes the MVA1 + MVA2 for two short circuit MVAs in parallel as indicated in your postings. This counterexample proves that the 5.33W is fallacious result for two batteries in series.
Also, in DC VAs and Watts coincides since there are no VARs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back