Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electrical code for renovation work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearass

Structural
Jul 11, 2005
GU
Are there any exceptions in the number of bends allowed in conduit for a renovation project on military housing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, not per the NEC. The 360 degree limit is frankly stupid. Pulling calculations would make a whole lot more sense than a flat number. Badly designed, 180 degrees can be unpullable, while well designed runs can be easily pulled with well over 360 degrees of bend. One possible out is that the government is its own AHJ and can decide what codes are applicable and which are not.

I once did a project for a National Park that while medium voltage, would have been NEC for any other owner in the state, but the project included only the NESC as the governing code to get around the 360 degree bend limit. We were designing a new underground circuit along a winding road and every pull was calculated during design. The original design had one pull with nearly 720 degrees and did not have the highest design pull tension.

Thanks David. I've been looking for awhile. Just found this site. I guess I'll be giving the Govt. a whole lot of J box's in these units. Maybe then they'll be a little less stringent and allow a few extra bends. Thanks again for the quick response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back