Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

electrical design simulation program

Status
Not open for further replies.

electron

Electrical
Dec 6, 2000
PR
I am interested on getting an electrical design simulation program. Been looking around, someones are to expensive and others fall short on feautures. My question is which is thre best under $1000. Thanks in advance.

RC Rafael

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm only a third year student in an electricial and electronic degree course, however the main programs we use are MatLab by MathSoft, good for modelling etc and SimuLink for control. Mathematica is in fact a great Maths package, better than MatLab in my opinion but probably more expensive

There is a free power systems simulation package called PSCAD/EMTDC available FREE at It is an evaluation version with a 15 electrical node limit.

It is a time domain based simulator, which uses a Fortran engine to solve electrical differential equations - much faster than Matlab and Simulink.

It contains a full controls library and a Matlab interface.

If you don't mind the follow up call from a salesman, then Deta in the UK have a fantastic program that they will despatch on cd to you as an evaluation. There is no time limit and it really works !! don't have their url to hand but it probably was .com or .co.uk

I also understand there is soon to be a web based java version of electronics workbench ( i use the standard one myself) i don't know if it is by them or someone that is using their format.

good luck and every success

regards

Andy

PSCAD/EMTDC appears to be suitable for applications that do not require more accurate generator and motor modeling with their associated phenomena including power flow, short circuit currents, voltage drops, etc.

In response to comment by jbartos on Dec. 22:

Actually, the PSCAD/EMTDC simulation of the transient response of electric machines is quite accurate. The syncronous machine model contains a 'Multi-Mass' algorithm to accurately simulate rotor torsional effects and sub-syncronous resonance.

In my experience using the program, I have never had a problem with lack of accuracy.

References:
1. "Getting Started Basics and Installation, PSCAD/EMTDC Version 3.0," Revision 3.0.4 - 8 June 2000
2. "Introduction to PSCAD/EMTDC V3" dated March 31, 2000, Rev. 1.3

Response to the previous posting:
1. The software is very suitable and accurate for modeling transient phenomena, which was not denied anywhere, and it is included in Reference 1 "Foreword." This is in agreement with the above postings. What is at a question are symmentrical component models suitable for the steady state load flow, short circuit and voltage drop analysis, especially a suitability to align them with any particular industry standards. There are no references cited to any industry standards in Reference 1, except perhaps over the Help System in EMTDC User's Guide.
2. Reference 2 "Table of Contents" does not really list Generators and Motors; however, it does list Transformers, Transmission Lines and Surge Arresters. It seems to be referring to academic papers and few industry standards, which is excellent for its purpose pertaining to transient models, however, less convenient for practical applications and equipment meeting industry standards. There is an enormous amount of practical and theoretical knowhow needed for proper correlations. For example, where to fit "Closing and Latching Capability" under Circuit Breakers in Reference 2 Section 7-10.
3. The generator positive, negative and zero sequence parameters and their relationships to subtransient, transient and synchronous reactances seems to be omitted from References 1 and 2.
4. The software and its results cannot easily be compared to industry widely used software, e.g. DAPPER, ETAP, etc.
5. Etc.

Why do not you try the Electric Transient Program known as ETAP. I think it is well known program and I have been using it for quite time without any problem.

ETAP is not exactly under 1000US$. In fact, the ETAP E1 certified for the nuclear power plant electrical system analysis may cost as much as 160,000US$.

Is EMTDC anything like EMTP Sounds like a DC version. I don't know if EMTP will suit electron's needs, but the ATP version can be had for considerably less than $1000 (free) if you meet the licensing requirements (promise not to sell it and never did). This is no limited trial version. Try for more information.

Response to Steve A (Visitor):

Actually, EMTDC and EMTP were born of the same concept introduced by Hermann W. Dommel in a paper called "Digital Computer Solution of Electromagnetic Transients in Single and Multiphase Networks", released in (I believe) 1969.

Although similar, EMTP and EMTDC have been developed separately since.

In the 1970's, EMTP was found to be inadequate for simulating Power Electronic circuits, so a new Fortran based simulation engine was developed in Manitoba, Canada to address these needs: EMTDC. EMTDC is capable of solving not only DC transtient solutions but AC as well.

Over the years, EMTDC has been developed commercially into a unique program, containing sophisticated algorithms to enhance efficiency and speed of simulation.

When used with it's GUI (PSCAD), I have found it to be quite a powerful software package for simulating any type of electrical (and mechanical) system.

A free evaluation version can be downloaded from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back