Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi dpc,
Thanks for your reply, I am looking for designing software for Electrical panels, Motor control centres, Single line diagram, Power factor improvement plants and other Electrical designing used in Electrical industry in Canada.

For years I have been using 2D AutoCad for panel layouts, single lines, schematics, motor elementaries, P&ID's, instrument loop sheets, conduit/cable tray etc. Most electrical component manufactures offer AutoCad product drawings that can be imported directly into your drawings.

David Baird

Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

Autocad is just a drawing software.

If you talk specifically about design softwares which have modules for panel drawings, SLDs, etc and give you help in design and calculations, then you need to look at following:

ETAP
EDSA
SKM Power Tools
PSS/e or now PSS/SINCAL
NEPLAN
DIGISILENT

These are some of the most widely used software around the globe.

Olic

nabeelkhan

over here in Europe EPLAN is very popular and works well but it is also expensive - there are many others electric CADs that maybe are used only in a given nation - depends on where you live

regards

I use AutoCAD LT as well for schematics.

I have heard many good things about AutoCAD Electrical, when applied to electrical control panels. I just haven't gotten to the point where the price justifies the means yet.

Some of my buddies like the software for Power designs, and you can look into also.

If you are not a draughtsperson and want a quick solution, you may like to look at Microsoft Visio which does a pretty good job and is easier to set up and learn than autocad. It can also export to autocad format.

Best regards,

Mark Empson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back