Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ELECTRICAL DRAWINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BADVE

Electrical
Nov 20, 2001
IN
How it is possible to make the electrical drawing for power circuit & control circuit in minimum time with the help of Autocad?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use AUTOCAD to draw the power distribution one line diagrams as well as the control circuits. There is no specific way to do it quickly.
However drawing with AUTOCAD is very productive if you have already prepared most of the possible configurations of protective devices or control relays and the relevant cabling that you may have at outgoing/incoming circuits of a switchboard (panel/MCC etc). Having done and applied this in at least one project makes drawing a simple copy-paste task when you draw for the next project and you merely have to correct the ratings with the ddedit command.

If u gonna Use Some Software Like E-PLAN or wscad Which are electrical Drafting tools .. may be help full to generate automatic terminal Diagram and Bill Of materail and faster to generate Power Schematics..

I use Autocad extensively for electrical circuits and have a large number of pre-drawn motor power circuits to call upon.
I have also drawn symbols and made each a block with attributes attached. Ie, upon inserting a symbol into a drawing the progam requests the symbol identification and connection numbers and inserts the details accordingly. Each symbol has been applied to a button using the button customise tool in Autocad. In this way I have created three toolbars of electrical symbols which run down the right hand side of my screen. One of the buttons is a flyout in which I keep my least used symbols. If space on your drawing screen is at a premium then flyout buttons may be used for toolbars.
I also use a similar arrangement for inserting equipment into control panel layouts. Most of our standard equipment ie contactors, overloads, pushbuttons, lights etc are predrawn into blocks with attributes attached. Again toolbars/buttons have been created but in this case more flyouts as too many buttons would appear on screen. Hope this is of some help.

I also started using AutoCAD to do my electrical schematics and have a big symbol database which makes it easier to do your schematics. The trouble you run into (at least I did) was when we needed to change things around, add devices, more pushbuttons etc. This was really a nightmare when you already had your wire numbers done. To manually go through a multi-page schamatic and make sure your numbers were right was a pain. Plus the hassle of checking your contact cross-referencing.
We are a small company and almost all of my control panels are custom designed. We needed to integrate our BOM's into the schematics also.
We bit the big one and got AB's RSWire. Now editing is a piece of cake and I can even move things around just to get it better organizied.

I agree that blocks are the biggest time saving tool. We also have used VB code to make a software package that will plot automatically. Lets say you have 30 pages of prints, click this button, highlight the files, and all the opening, closing, and printing will be done for you in less than 5 secs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back