Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Engineering Case Study (Need Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jr09

Student
Aug 8, 2024
PH
Hello Everyone. I am an electrical engineering student. I would like to ask about case study topics. What are good case studies aside from energy audit, that I can do in my campus ? It would be great if the case study involves collecting data within the campus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OP,
I assume your campus like many others, love to tout "green" projects. Not sure how large of a study you are looking for but there were likely performance metrics associated with the cost / benefit analysis surrounding these projects and were used for justification. Most get installed, commissioned, ribbon cut. Administrators update their CVs showing how they saved xx amount of energy costs or save xx tons of CO2. Many of these projects are never vetted after initial installation. You could do a case study to validate one of these projects and capture the longer-term metrics. Was it hype or did it work sort of premise. (Just make sure it wasn't one of your professor's pet projects, then again...)

A teacher friend in Central America told me of a study that one of his senior high school students did as a class project.
They researched and calculated that one of the major fruit exporting plants could realize substantial savings if they changed their incandescent lighting to fluorescent lighting.
The payback period was short and the savings in both energy and replacement of the much longer lasting fluorescent tubes was considerable.
They shared the results with the the fruit company.
The result;
The purchasing agent bought all of the incandescent bulbs from a friend.I am sure that paybacks were involved.
There was no change.
Beware; Don't ask the question unless you are ready for the answer.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Remember what a case study is: a process or record of research in which detailed consideration is given to the development of a particular person, group, or situation over a period of time.

Examples of situations that could be studied might include: 1) how often does (a specific component) fail, 2) what happens if we change "X" to "Y", 3) how does the room temperature affect student attentiveness, 4) how does the ambient lighting level affect student attentiveness, 5) what happens to campus safety if the path lighting is triggered by motion sensors, 6) does power quality relate to the quality of homework (i.e. if the power quality is bad, do power electronics quit and therefore no essays get written, etc.).

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

do power electronics quit and therefore no essays get written, etc.).
That takes me back to the days when calculators were new and square root calculators were a high priced extra.
A common student panic during Friday tests was a calculator battery going dead.
I kept a spare calculator in my desk as a loaner.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back