Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical motor to control a water valve 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerardordzn

Mechanical
May 8, 2007
US
Hi everyone

i-m looking for a standar motor using two AAA, to control a water valve from 1".

The valve is to control open - medium, close the water of a pipe.

if one have an information about some simple standar motor for this function would be great
thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are many small motors for the modeling brigade that will operate from your intended supply, you will need a high gear ratio so that sufficient torque can be generated to drive the valve spindle. The smaller the motor the slower it will have to go.

Try a model shop or search geared DC motor.

There are plenty of inexpensive commercial products that perform this exact function, although perhaps more commonly on 0.5" garden hoses. It might be worth the $40 to buy a 'garden hose timer' or similar to see how they do it.

Hiya-

As VE1BLL mentioned you might want to see what the commerical products do. The garden "automatic sprinkler" system valves, although 12V cannot be run from a pair of AA batteries (and you will have to really watch the power consumption in any event), you might want to have a pair of valves to
accomplish the "open - medium, close" of the water flow.

With the water flow to the valves in parallel, one might have
both off, one on for medium, and the other on for full water
flow (or both for full flow, but it consumes more electrical power).

One also might check (sorry to say) the automatic urinal valves that are showing up in public bathrooms now. I believe these are powered by batteries........

O.K. I'm sorry. This is engineering we are talking about. It sometimes takes thinking "out of the box" to find a solution. And I *DIDN'T* say "it takes careful aim...."

;-)

Rich S.

The garden hose timers I've seen fit onto your hose bib (on the side of your house) and they are typically powered by something like a few AA batteries (a guess based on the exterior size). They only consume significant power when switching from on to off, or back.

Hi VE1BLL

Yep. I know the ones that you are talking about. The ones that I was thinking of was the "manifold" type that are used for the "built in" watering systems. The ones with the many circuit timers.

I still like the idea of having a pair of valves to have
the off medium full feature that the OP wanted.

Cheers,

Rich S.

I put in a handleless faucet in my bathroom to ditch the drippy handles and help with preventing germ spread, and entirely confounding visitors. To my great surprise it runs about 3.5 years on a set of 4 C batteries and that's also running the IR hand sensor 24/7. It gets cycled about 20 million times a day too.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Boiler Heat Radiators(the baseboard looking apartment style) operates off of DC Motor Spindle.
you may want to look into suppliers, im sure they'll have layouts of them on the internet, and thatd be free

Hi,
I know you asked for 3 volt operation but heres a couple of ideas anyway.
If you need an actual motorized valve rather than a solenoid, you might find someting in the automotive line e.g window winder, screen wiper.
Radio controlled model servos
A company called Hanbay make little stepper motor actuators that fit onto regular instrument style needle valves if you need to control flow.

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back