Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical or Industrial Engineering - that is the question !

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnaeus

Electrical
Feb 10, 2003
CA
Hello,

I am a BS in Electrical Engineering - Electrotechnics, I am a landed immigrant in Canada, Montreal and want to pursue a Master Degree in order to be able to enter the Canadian job market with as good references as I can.

But the question is: having a BS in Electrical Engineering should I continue with a Master in Electrical Engineering or move to Industrial Engineering in order to enlarge my chances ?

I have an experience of almost 5 years in Romania as an el. engineer and the last job that I had revealed some management capabilities that I have besides the technical ones!

Which of these two fields would you recommend or would tou think will have a brighter future in Canada / North America. I don't have any work experience in Canada yet !

Any answer would be appreciated !

Thanks you,
Johnaeus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to go multi-discipline. The most valuable are bio-eng, law-eng for patent work, etc. My old boss was an outstanding mech eng / elect eng with degrees in both. He was worth his weight in gold, and they treated him that way, too. The combination of BS eng and MS business is so common that you may not benefit by it. Attend a few seminars to fill out the management knowledge. I would consider EE/ME because all machinery can benefit by the mix of talents.

Thank you plasgears for your answer !

Referring to Bio-Eng, I had also followed a Postgraduate Europeean Course in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Patras Greece (8 months), but I am somehow afraid to do a MS in this field because I feel it a quite narrow domain.
What if I don't find a job strictly in this field ?

On the other hand I thought Electrical / Industrial Eng like disciplines that can be used in many industrial and not only industrial fields with more large perspectives.

Thanks,
Johnaeus [thumbsup2]

Shouldn't you start with what you WANT to do?

Seems a bit backwards to plan on entering a field or a job that you might actually hate.

Obviously, if it turns out that what you want and like don't pay or are unavailable, that'll be a problem. TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back