Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Panel Labeling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcamp

Industrial
Dec 14, 2007
US
Ok the plant that I work at does not have all the panels labeled properly. I am tasked with labeling all the panels. My question is there a standard that has to be followed as to mapping and labeling

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I'm going to label all the electrical panels in my plant. We have 2 feeds coming into the plant 1 480v wye and 1 480 delta. I need to lable each panel starting at the source and branching out to the other panels I.E. what voltage is fed in and where its feed from, thus creating a map of power distribution. I was wanting to know if there is any standard that I have to follow in the labeling, as in is there special designations or alphanumeric charectors that have to be used for each panel. If not what would be a goodlabeling scheme.

I'd recommend starting with NFPA 70-2005 Article 408.4, i.e., National Electrical Code. Here's what it says:

"408.4 Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification
Every circuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified as to its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identification shall include sufficient detail to allow each circuit to be distinguished from all others. The identification shall be included in a circuit directory that is located on the face or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboard, and located at each switch on a switchboard."

There are similar requirements in OSHA. You can also inquire with the local electrical inspector, i.e., as to specific requirements in the local codes/jurisdiction. Most are happy to provide guidance as to applicable codes & standards.

Being an industrial plant, I would recommend being as detailed as possible.

f.ex. "water pump" would suffice for an residential panel. Whereas, an industrial facility typically needs more definition for clarification, i.e., "VSD water pump #4 - Process Line 3" would help the plant personnel.

As you can see from the wording in Article 408.4, it's pretty subjective.

Al

As far as I know there is no standard that specifies names for panelboards or switchboards. Typically the owner of a plant has an established standard. If there is none in place, you are left to invent a system.

Common designations are Hx or Lx for high voltage (>120/208V) lighting, Px is common for general 120V power panels. Sometimes this type of system is combined with a location identifier such as a column bay (e.g. C10H1 for lighting panel #1 in column bay C10).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back