Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical Power Symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon47532

Electrical
Dec 1, 2008
US
I am looking for an official standard for symbols that are used on single line. I know that IEEE has a symbol standard, but the majority list in that book are for electronic devices.

Any help would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The topic has been discussed a few times in this forum. Do search on this site.

Here is one of the threads.

thread242-22239

It will also help if you clarify where are you located and also the nature of your business. There may be 'standards', the question is what is generally followed or get accepted.

We in USA do not necessarily follow any standards per se, but we know which are most commonly used. Modern electronic symbols assume use of CAD, while the hand drawn symbols for power electrical, which were in use prior to the advent of CAD are still popular.

Rafiq Bulsara

Jon47532,
You need to specify where you are working. Symbol standards are different all over the world, this is a world-wide forum.

Assuming you are in the US or Canada, the standard is ANSI Y32.2. If you don't have access to it, most of them are included in the documents on this page.

If you are in another country, the IEC symbols are described in IEC Standard 60617 (I believe).

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back