Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electrical Short Circuit Sotware? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahazlewood

Industrial
Nov 24, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a GOOD software package for short circuit calculations? Our company bought EDSA some time ago (hey, the sales-guy made it look so friendly)and we have since found that it has a pathetic "users manual" thus requiring several thousands of extra dollars for training.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am happy with EDSA. I have to admit that the manual is not the greatest though. It seems to me that your company is about to spend more money on a different software package. EDSA training would cost you less.

All the short cicuit software packages take training and experience. But they are not all alike in there results. I like etap but skm is also easy to use. I did not like edsa because it takes a bit to get use to.

We have used ETAP for a number of studies. The best thing about it is a comprehensive library on equipment data. We also get a very good after sale support from them .

What type of systems are you working on? Transmission or distribution? What other features needed (Harmonic analysis, protective device coordination, load flow, transient stability analysis, etc.)?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Saltan: The short circuit studies are mainly for small (10 - 20 MW) hydroelecric projects. We generally do a short circuit study and use the results (in pspice) to do a TRV study.

Borti: We have a potential buyer for EDSA and the EDSA training costs are > $2000!

Suggestion: Ultimately, the electrical short circuit software may be developed. I used to work for an A/E Firm that developed its own software.

Another vote for ETAP. I have been using it for 11 years, since the DOS version. Easy to use, easy to model the system, and able to perform just about every type of system analysis, just buy the modules you need.

What DanDel said. ETAP is also Nuclear certified. It is a quick stop shop for all modules needs for industrial and distribution systems. Pricing is actually competitive.

I have tried all of the software mentioned from Gene Knight's (RIP) SKM to ETAP in 30 years+ of professional practice. These are all fine software packages; but I find EDSA Technical 2000 to be the best software package available, bar none. My agency (FAA) uses it for power system anaylses at all our regional offices across the US and territories. Expensive...? Yes, but it will solve all of your electrical design problems (if used properly).

Regards,

Gene Hidalgo, PE
Senior Electrical Engineer
Federal Aviation Administration.

Suggestion: With specialization in business, often not all modules are being used. Some Clients prefer a certain type of software since they are used to printout forms, i.e. reports, charts, etc.

ETAP -- INSIDER INFO
(of which I used and tested earlier revisions for pre-release)
ETAP was created by downloading and copying/modifying the power analysis routines off of a main-frame computer used at Fluor corp., by a then employee and former college instructor, Farook Shakooh. It was kept in the original operating code format but for the PC user interface "pages" which were written in a more user-friendly code.
The company that its creator started, OTI, has slowly grown to be virtually a worldwide reference for distribution system design and testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back