Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrical switchgear fire protection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBDaniel

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2003
US
What types of fire protection systems can be used for a local gas turbine-generator control room in which the turbine control panel and motor control center are located? Are there any code requirements for the type of gas used? Is so what are the codes? I understand FM-200 gas can be used in electrical switchgear spaces but can CO2 be used in a local room for gas turbines? It doesn't seem like CO2 would be desirable for spaces where you have sensitive electronic equipment and 480 VAC circuit breakers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think CO2 be used in occupied spaces. It is sometimes used within equipment enclosures such as generators.

Fire codes vary radically depending on your location, so it's hard to say what is legally required. In some cases, sprinklers are required by law, even though the room if full of electrical gear.

FM-200 is probably the best alternative if there will be people in the space.

But your local fire marshall will get the last word.

Besides the local codes and fire marshals, the insurance carrier of the property (such as FM or IRI) have a lot of say what is acceptable to make the installation insurable.

Double interlocked preaction system could be an attractive solution compared to a gaseous extinguhsin systems.

CO2 can be used in occupied spaces, but only with a pre-discharge warning system. The consequences of someone being trapped in a CO2 discharge are potentially lethal. FM200 (trade name for FE-227) is much safer, but also much more expensive. Another safer option is Inergen, but the piping and venting systems required for it are costly. You may also want to consider water mist supression which produces a water vapor fog that is generally considered safe for electronics and data center type applications. These systems are effective and (it is claimed) the fog effectively scrubs combustion products from the air. I would suggest consulatation with a licensed fire protection engineer.

Just a thought, you might be able to provide a gaseous-suppression system for the equipment enclosures only. It's unclear if you're trying to protect the gear only or the entire room.

I've seen such installations a few times in Europe, although never in the US for electrical equipment. However, in the US, I've seen a couple data center tape silos with gas systems protecting the silo enclosure only.

Protection of the equipment enclosure only is viable only if it can be made reasonably air-tight. I've done tape silos with CO2 a number of years ago, but as I recall in most cases they can't meet the NFPA required pressurization tests so we end up having to fill the whole room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back