Electro-hydraulic Fan Drive Cooling System

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjain73

Automotive
Jan 21, 2003
CA
Hi,

We are assessing a new technology for engine cooling. The technology uses eletro-hydraulic power to control the fan drive. This technology can be used in diesel engines and it can cool the in-coming air, the hydraulic fluids and oils and the the engine coolant. The system uses 50% less horsepower, is quiter and smaller than mechanical or hydro-mechanical fan drives.

Can anyone provide some input as to the need for such a technology in diesel-powered vehicles (on and off-road)?
Would this technology be better than the currently available technology (i.e. mechanical fan drives)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
p.s. I can provide more info if needed.

Best Wishes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are thre current technologies

Mechanical belt drive

hydraulic motor drive

electric motor

If your system is more efficient and/or cheaper than those then it will probably be worth pursuing. I don't think the size of the electric or hydraulic motors is a big issue, but if your system is appreciably smaller I guess that is a plus.

I think you need to describe your system much more if you really want an assessment of it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Hydraulic motor dirven fans are better suited to off highway applications because the direction of rotation can be changed to help keep the radiator clean, remote radiator location is simplified, fan only runs when required, fan runs at a constant speed if required, and most off highway equipment have a hydrauilc system in place for other functions reducing the cost of implimentation.

Thanks for the really useful information!
Greg - I would not mind providing you with more information ( I just don't want to post it over the forum). You can email me at hjain73@hotmail.com and I will send you more info about this technology. I'm not looking for an in-depth assessment of this technology - just some opinions from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Hope to hear from you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back