Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electro-mechanical actuators for Landing Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

whph

Jul 15, 2005
CA
Has anyone been involved with, or know about using electromechanical actuators in aircraft landing gear systems. Are they as reliable as hydraulic ones? How does the cost and weight compare with hydraulics? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If my memory serves me right, Mooney Aircraft has used electromechanical actuators for years.

Pratt & Whitney would like to eliminate accessory gear boxes on small turbine engines and incorporate electrical power generation right on the main engine shaft. This will lead to more aircraft designs that would use electrics for gear and flap actuation.

Boeing's is looking at using electric actuators for the 787 as well.

The trend is away from hydraulic to electric. This happened in robots, also. A compact DC motor with gear reduction can be made reliable, and the leakage question is sidestepped.

thanks!! what about emergeny extension, how would this be done with an electric actuator?? i know that with hydraulics you can just bypass the fluid to the reservior and let gravity do the work.

in fact, there is usually a means of disengaging the motor from the gearbox, and a hand crank ( Beech Bonanzas, Barons, & Dukes or the 'tip-tank' twin cessnas ) or a lever operated ratchet-and-pawl affair ( Beech Kingair series ) to lower the gear.

what type of electric actuator do you have in mind ?
Electric motors and mechanics are both reversible, so where is the problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back