Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electrocoat and membranes

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhand

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2004
CA
I have read that membranne technology is used in the recovery of electrocoat paints. My question is whether the membrane that is used is charged to repell the paint from clogging the pores. If a charge is put on the membrane, how is it done. Is the membrane charged or is something applied to the surface of the membrane that is charged?
I haven't contacted any membrane manufacturers yet, or perhaps I should contact the manufacturers using these systems.
Thanks for any info.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The membranes are not charged to repel the paint/pigment particles from clogging the pores. The paints being recovered and concentrated are charged emulsions, and are circulated so as to allow the solubles to go through the membrane. As the solids level gets to the appropriate point, the paint is recovered. And yes, you should talk to the ultrafiltration manufactures for a test of the material you want to ultrafilter to determine the best system and conditions of your recovery.

organic ultrafiltration membrane are used to separate paint from demi water - organic membrane have the same electronic charge than paint - for instance positive membranes are used with cationic paint (+) to avoid membrane fouling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back