Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrolyse: optimal under high voltage or high ampFre 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doryan

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2002
BE
Hi, this might seem a silly question to experts, but analytical chemistry is not my cup of tea.

When electrolysing a certain fluid, what is the best thing to do with your electrical power ? Transform it to be high voltage or high on ampéres ?

Or could it perhaps be an in between thing ? Is there a certain proportion between voltage and ampères to keep in mind ? Are there different characteristics for various types of fluids ?

I'm looking for every little bit of information regarding electrical power towards an electrolytical chemical process.

- Thanks, Doryan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My answer: depending on the conductivity on the fluid the voltage preferably should be as low as possible. You are setting the Amps and the voltage goes up to whatever it takes to reach the amps. There is (as far as I know) an exception. If you have two metals in the same solution you can plate them out separately by applying different voltages.

Thanks petroni.

But does the kind of electrical power really manipulate (speed up) the chemical process, or does it just depend on how fast the electrolyte can perform ?

Hello again,

The higher the current the faster the plating.
Conductivity of the solution is one parameter that influence how high the voltage will be. But it will not effect plating speed.
The current during a given moment will "plate" a certain amount of ions. Therefore amount of Ah introduced is responding to amount of ions that is reduced.
I was not sure I understood your question, but get back again if there is something else you mean
rgds
Petroni

I can't speak to the details of the kinetics of the electrochemical reaction but increased temperature will increase the electrolyte conductivity. This will have the effect of reducing the amount of power required. Often electrochemical reactions are accompanied by thermochemical reactions or by diffusion near the electrodes. These will be affected by temperature.

As an example, the electrolysis of salt brines at relatively low temperatures in a properly designed cell without a 'salt bridge' will produce sodium hypochlorite. At higher temperatures (and different pH conditions) sodium chlorate will be formed. In both cases the same electrochemical reactions are occuring. The thermochemical reactions however are not the same.

I hope I haven't provided a confusing answer. As I do not know what process you are dealing with, I can only offer some generalizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back