Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electrolysis for rust removal - The electrolyte solution question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickyd

Chemical
Apr 5, 2009
Electrolysis is an effective way to remove rust from metal. This link discusses it generally.

My question pertains to the electrolyte solution used. Most article specify using sodium carbonate and water. A common form of sodium carbonate is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. This is preferred over using sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)and water and I want to know why.

In the link above that I provided, at the bottom of the article, it discusses washing soda vs. baking soda and even how you can make your own washing soda by cooking baking soda in the oven to burn off an H20 and CO2 molecule transforming baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) into washing soda (sodium carbonate).

So why is an electrolyte solution made with sodium carbonate preferred over sodium bicarbonate? Answer from a technical standpoint and I am sure I'll have to ask other questions to better understand.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure of why but can postulate that sodium carbonate lacks the hydrogen containing "bi-" ion and is therefore more alkaline. This may be a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back