Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

electromagnetic flowmeter for partially full pipes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitengineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 22, 2007
US
I am trying to convince a local sewer authority to allow my client to utilize an electromagnetic flowmeter for partially full pipe specifically a Parti-Mag II for process wastewater (vegetable washwater). The Authority uses magmeters but only on sewer mains that are constantly full. Their engineer has no experience with electromagnetic flowmeter for partially full pipes, thus he wants us to utilize weirs or flumes. Do you know where I can find any documentation or testimony that can be use to convince their engineer that electromagnetic flowmeter for partially full pipes is a viable metering device?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I am familiar with the dog leg approach in fact we have submitted a design with it, where the magmeter was designed to flow full pipe through the dog leg after a sediment tank and the Authority’s Engineer would not approve it saying that it will get clogged due to sediment (the processing wastewater has considerable amount of dirt from vegetable washing). I eventually put that magmeter after a pump station in the force main prior to municipal discharge. After the sediment tank we will have a 3-way plug valve and the side discharge will go in another direction by gravity a different municipal discharge. There is a newer product on the market (1996?) a magmeter for partially filled pipes that by manufacturer’s data is proven technology and high accuracy. The Authority engineer wants us to use weirs or flumes for metering. Though structures require a lot cleaning and maintenance.

Try to find one of these meters in use within a 2-3 hour drive. Ask the engineer to go see this in operation. then let him talk with the user. If they are really that good, there must be some in use somewhere. No one spending gov't money wants to be the first to buy anything new.

Richard A. Cornelius, P.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back