Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electromechanical tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2005
HN
Hello everybody:

I am a Mechanical Engineer and my professional experience has been around the hydropower and thermal plants (Diesel engines) generation.
In both fields I have been working from the stage of erection/installation of the mechanical systems and generating equipments, up to the commercial operation of these power plants in charge of maintenance activities.

But, for these days, I am working in the tendering process for the construction of a small hydropower plant. My boss is asking me to lend a hand in reviewing the electrical part of the procurement. Even when I know in a general manner the roll of the electrical branch in the power generation, I respectfully have said to him that I am not capable to give that kind of support to the company, because that is not of my professional competence.

He appears to be deaf and insists in that subject.
About my assumed position, any comments? Thanks.

El que no puede andar, se sienta.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"... lend a hand ..." does not mean that you will be instantly responsible for everything.
It means that you review the paperwork, with the primary objective of just seeing if there are any glaring >mechanical< errors reflected in the >electrical< part of the documents.

While you are at it, ask questions as they occur to you.

Your boss is trying to _expand_ your professional competence.
Take advantage of the opportunity.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

This is how we learn other aspects of engineering -- never EVER say no. Dig into it. Get books. get on the Internet - ask your co-workers.

Saying NO is a quick way out the door.

Like I tell my guys - you say you can't do it - I WILL find someone who can!!

To add to Mike’s post, if you can learn one field of engineering, other fields should not be a problem. Plus this is an example of above and beyond expectations of your responsibilities. This is good experience to add as bullet once you go for review and hopefully get a nicer raise or promotion. This will also make you a better engineer and will make you stand out from others in the future who are more monotone. Trust your learning ability and engineering instincts.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”
"People get promoted when they provide value and when they build great relationships"

And part of your boss' rationale is that your very inexperience will reveal areas that need clarification or more explanation. A fresh and unbiased set of eyes is often the key to finding the last 5% of the errors in a document.

I will likewise exhort you to expand your horizons, as there may be many times in your future career that will depend on your ability to think outside of the ME box, both on the job, and to keep your job.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Hello everybody:

Thanks for your comments and advices. I will try to implement these the best as I can.

El que no puede andar, se sienta.

It can go the other way, being given a task you're not well suited/experienced for without adequate time to get up to speed etc. and then getting flak for not doing a good job - so you aren't wrong to at least consider that option.

So do your best, do as much extra study/digging as you have time for and when you give your feedback make sure it's with some sort of caveat.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back