Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Electronic analog computers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, kV will come out to meet you. One lifelong memory was (carefully) fooling with a 15 kV (CT grounded), 30 mA neon sign xformer. I was curious about corona or something like it, and had the light off at night. Dry wood floor, inch-thick crepe rubber soles. Metal-cased flashlight in hand, switched off.

Mental map was inaccurate, and flashlight came too close. It was only capacitive coupling, but my arm took a wild jerk, flashlight went flying, and I was none the worse.

(Btw, should this topic be moved to another forum, because it is now unrelated?)

Regards,

NB

Nicholas Bodley |*| Retired technician
Eastern Mass.

Skogsgurra said, "Correct forum..."
Indeed. I was thinking too narrowly, about the specific topic (Electronic analog computers).

Btw, is "Skogsgurra" Scots Gaelic, or a Scottish place name? My linguist side is wondering. Hope I'm not prying into privacy.

Regards,

NB

Eastern Mass.

No privacy problems at all. It is a composite expression meaning "Gurra that lives in the woods". And Gurra is short for Gunnar (not much shorter, really). Gunnar is an old viking name and it has nothing at all to do with gunmen. It is Swedish or rather Scandinavian. That woods part comes from long time ago when I actually lived in the woods.

Gurra,

Thank you! Fun.

Regards,

NB
Russian-English

Eastern Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back