Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

electronic component engineer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshNewcomer

Electrical
Jan 26, 2004
FI
I am a newly graduate with a BS in EE. I worked as a cellular phone technician for over 6 years. I am getting ready to accept a job offer as a electronic component engineer. I really don't know much about it. Any suggestion on what to read to prepare for the job? What advice can you give a new comer? What is the thoughest part? Any thing of importance?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Freshnewcomer,
I suggest you ,you read data-sheet and magazine.
visit distributor website andlinks.
subcribeEPN and electropages website.
Allwasy check components when you see

Regards,
Kerem SENCAN
sencankerem@hotmail.com

EPN? What the devil is EPN?

If you mean EBN, it stopped publishing on December 15, 2003. It will be replaced by a new monthly magazine called Electronics Supply and Management in a couple months.

Our website has a page that describes what WE think the job of Component Engineering is (and all our partners have been Component Engineers and Component Engineering Managers).

Fundamentally, it's all about improving engineering and procurement efficiency, and reducing supply chain risk by (among other things) knowing how to select the right parts to use in the design of a given product. It requires significant understanding of both technical and business issues.

See .

Good Luck!

Mike

--
Mike Kirschner
Design Chain Associates, LLC

1) Get yourself some reference books. Among them would be:
"Electronic Components - Selection & Application Guidelines", by Victor Meelduk, Wiley. There are several other, such as by Harper and by Mazda, but this one is the text I refer to most often, Its main weakness it that it devotes too many pages to military specs for components, rather than EIA standards. "The Art of Electronics", 2nd Ed., Horowitz & Hill, Cambridge, is also packed with good Component Information.

2) Take the EIT/FE exam. Not only does this put you on track for PE Registration, which you should get in two years, but the exam itself is a good review of physical principles that you will use as a Component Engineer.

3) Get subscriptions to several magazines: Electronic Products, EDN, Electronic Design.

Learn to use some internet search tools popular among Component Engineers - among them being IC Master, Faradnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back