Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Electronic components failure times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickgaskill

Electrical
Jul 6, 2006
GB
Hi

Could someone help me? I am requiring any information regarding data about the lifetime of electronic components, there is a lot of research on these subjects but all I am after is exact figures on when electronic components will fail.

Mainly electronic components within UPS's built around 1970-80's, the pre-programmed chips which nobody seems to be able to get hold of. I know they do a lot of this research for the nuclear industry.

Thanks

Mick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no exact figures for components.

There used to be a guarantee that EEPROMS should retain information at least ten years. But that doesn't say that a few individuals do notdrop out long before that. And, as we all know, that many devices made in the seventies are still doing their job.

The single most important device or equipment characteristic that I know and that has a fairly predictable life is support. Many companies mark things as "obsolete" after ten years. After that, you have to know someone with the right knowledge to get support on that equipment. In-house support that used to know the equipment has either moved to management or retired, or quit.

I am quite often being asked to keep old equipment alive. I have some experience from decades back and I have a good collection of documents. But I tell the guys to buy new equipment. Keeping old equipment that needs very spezialised skills, documentation and devices for communication and programming are ticking bombs and should be replaced as soon as possible. Bean counters have to learn this.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
100 % recycled posting: Electrons, ideas, finger-tips have been used over and over again...

Thanks Gunnar

This is the reason why I need some firm data, the bean counters are asking to back up the guesstimate ten year figure.

Little do they realise that the equipment is unsupported, which means having an 'Expert' called out to it is the only solution - when the equipment is offshore its more of a case for replacement.

I really wanted to hit the 'nail on the head' with some actual recognised figures when an EEPROM will fail particular within UPS systems. This will strengthen my case.

Mick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back